Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Seasons and Cycles (1)

Our lives are marked by seasons and cycles, ebbs and flows and pendulum swings. Even our progressions are circular, spiraling around a line.

In August the earth hurtles toward equinox, the equanimity of darkness and light. The planet has traveled enough in its orbit that the mornings are laden with dimness and dew. The birds, triggered by the glimmering of dawn, are at this time of year in the midst of their singing during my morning prayers. When I get up, the world is still heavy with dark, heavy in the half-light of dawn. When I drive to work, I need the visor to shield my eyes from the risen sun.

The earth keeps spinning on its axis, the moon continues to orbit the earth, and these two, together with the other planets and the bodies within their influence, go on wheeling around the sun, the fixed point in all of this movement.

On September 1st, the church year begins, the cycle of feasts and fasts. On the eighth, we celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Mary, the Mother of God.

(to be continued)

2 comments:

Becky said...

Did you get your Jack Falla book? I did and made sure I read the last chapter! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky. Yes, I did! And I went right to the back and found my paragraph. I was so excited I could hardly read it aloud to my family. I'm very happy to be in his book. I've already read the whole book. It's a good one.